God Bless The DJ

Friday night, a DJ saved my life, the night before too. Unfortunately, there was no poetry slam. Apparently, the place is going through reconstruction. (men never do their research). Regardless, my friends and I found something to do. We went to dinner at this dope Puerto Rican spot out in LES where another friend joined us. She had the cutest handmade shirt that I wanted to steal from her. I told her to name her price, but she wouldn't sell it because her cousin that lives in New Zealand made it. (Frankie's cousin, if you're reading this, please reach out to me, I'd love to buy a shirt from you)! She also had this three-part ring that had a face on it. It was super unique and cute. Apparently, her mother had given it to her. 

After breaking bread together, we just walked around to see where the night would take us. While taking picture we stumbled into this speakeasy where they were hosting a memorial party for this famous East Village photographer. To be honest, I forget the guy's name. We were so busy trying to figure out the place that I forgot to write it down. But rest in peace to that man as well. After leaving we ran into this woman that had the cutest coat, and dog to match. I asked her to take a picture of her, of which she obliged. Little did I know she was super happy to have her dog in the picture because someone had called the dog ugly earlier. The dog wasn't ugly, and people should stop being so mean. As we continued to walk, I continued to take more photos on my disposable camera. Most notably, I took a photo of my favorite diner I used to frequent back when I lived on Stanton. I almost got hit taking this photo (completely my fault for running out into traffic in heels), so it better come out good. 

So how did a DJ save my life exactly? He gave me mouth-to-mouth! (Ha, just kidding! I know better than to just walking around kissing strangers. I've got discipline.) Truthfully, I started to feel a little anxious while we were in Two Doors Down (I think there were just too many people around). Despite my anxiety, I wanted to stay and chill with my friends. Although I remained quiet for majority of our time there, something that always brought me out of my head and back into the present moment was the music. They definitely got it right with a decent mix of old and current music, and the artwork was really good too. None of us had been there before, but we all pretty much agreed that the place was cool. It had a dancefloor downstairs with a disco ball and everything. That brings me to Thursday.

Thursday night we went to Nowadays, a cute little spot out in Bushwick, but get this, there are no phones on the dancefloor. As someone who really does not give an F about their phone in the first place, I had no issue with this, until I needed to Shazam some music. Yes, you heard that right. I still use Shazam, and I do so with my chest. Whether it's in a bar, a plane, a train, or in the rain, if I hear something good, I'm gonna do whatever I can to get the song. If not me, then who? Plus, I do this for you. We listened to the Diana Ross, the Ru Paul, and many others.

But anyways, back to the dancefloor. The theme was house music, and as a Chicagoan born and raised this was just enough for me to feel right at home. I grew up on Boolumaster mixes! At the club, I danced a little, but my friend GOT TF DOWN!!!!! Like seriously. In my almost eight years of knowing this man, I have never in my life seen him dance like this. At some point we were standing next to each other, and I just happened to look over at him and he was DANCING. The way I turned my head so fast, so he could dance in peace. I couldn't help myself though, I did laugh because I was just so in shock. Once he realized what I was laughing at we both shared a laugh but then he said something that I found to be so interesting. He said, "It's been a long week at work, I needed this." I never knew that he used dance as a release. Mind you the last time I saw him dance, at a pole dancing class that I hosted, he was stiff as a board lol (even though he was eating the pole tricks up!). As for myself, I've been dancing since I was two, so I've been doing this dance release thing. True to this, never new. 

But anyway, I made sure to tip the DJ for the night since we had such a great time. Seeing my friend dance like that just made me realize how much despite our differences, we can all try to find a common ground through music and dance. If we allow it, the dancefloor can be a space where we all find ourselves again and release negativity. Music is just the vessel for that.

 I think it was actually my first time being in a space where the DJ was a Black woman, and she was incredible. All the DJ's that night were great, but she got down. Go DJ! God Bless the DJ that can move the crowd, and of course, God bless the Queen!

Following The Music,

Princess

Comments

Popular Posts